January 20, 2011

Yellow is Mellow


I'm a little behind on my reading, but tonight I got to the December issue of World of Interiors and saw the famous Nancy Lancaster yellow room, designed by John Fowler in 1957. The room which is in Ms. Lancaster's Mayfair London house, is adorned with numerous layers of glaze over a butter yellow paint. The space is filled with things that she brought back from travels, making the room a special space that would impress anybody. The room has become an icon of interior design, with numerous other designs being based upon the rich yellow tones. In my opinion, the yellow is nice but I like the paneled-barrel-vaulated ceiling, which is a sharp white contrasting the vibrant yellow walls. The tall two-story walls lead up to the ceiling which is bordered in a silver(ish) crown molding. I always enjoy a vaulted ceiling because it makes the room grand without any additional pieces. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...