December 21, 2011

Wonders of Walnut


After nearly falling off my desk chair when I saw the headboard above, I knew I found gold. It's actually walnut, not gold. But this headboard elicits everything cool. It's varying shades of light to dark tones, solid built, low profile, and a naturally edgy top. It's perfect. I came across this little gem on Hedgehouse's Etsy shop, and found all sorts of different pieces of furniture that are all solid walnut. Someone has a new favorite wood (me). I find the tones in walnut to be very soothing, and not very dramatic, but still stylish. The solid nature of these pieces really make them substantial, in style and heft. Walnut is seen a lot in Scandinavian design, along with Mid-century modern designs. And in my compulsive nature, I found another furniture designer who does wonders with walnut. James Murphy Design works out of his workshop in New York, and is inspired by the lines of boat building and aviation design. Interesting, right? Plus, he sources all of his wood from local trees, making an effort to stay locally sustainable. But after all that, I'm still drawn to the headboard above, it just speaks to me.

Hedgehouse

Hedgehouse

James Murphy Design

James Murphy Design

James Murphy Design

Unknown

Unknown

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...